Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Krycek
Dice
Carlyle
DevilDolly
Eleutherophobia
Azrakel
IcePho3nix
Mota
Eron
Delinquent
14 posters

APB and you

Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

APB and you Empty APB and you

Post  Delinquent Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Let it be know, right off the bat, this is not a thread about leaving the game. Instead, this is a thread about preparing for the future.

Last night I saw something that worried me greatly. LaRocha had a population at one point of 168 people total on the server at 5:45pm EST. That number is the lowest I have ever seen it and I have played every day that I could since KTTC. At the point that I logged off last night the server had managed to climb to 500+ but never broke 600 people. That is bad news for the game overall, and has me worried to say the least.

With things at RTW still up in the air, with a deal possibly being finalized this week regarding a potential buyer of the game / company it is hard to avoid the elephant in the room. Without a greatly vested company and lots of rapid retolling, APB is heading for a closed casket funeral within the year. I hate to admit that, but it is what I am seeing.

So, what is the point of this thread? Two fold. The first is that I am hoping that the bond we formed in APB will bring us to a multiplatform group that remains close to one another. I know that as long as Dice has the Vent up I will use it even after APB is down. The Rain Dogs mean a lot to me as people, and so I don't want to lose any of you.

The other point is to discuss future destinations. I know, for me, that EvE Online is the likely place to go. There are no other MMO's out there that interest me as I am currently done with the Fantasy world and DC Online just is not that interesting to me. Eve online, a game that was once described as the prettiest spreadsheet ever made, is a game that can be rather entertaining with the right people. Don't get me wrong, it can get dull fast, but it does stay entertaining for the most part. When it comes to MMO's, that is where I will be.

Dice won't like this, but I do plan on playing a ton of MW: Black Ops single and multiplayer when that drops because I like that simple FPS style. It is yet another option in the world of games that we can move to for entertainment of the future. In the current, if I need to shoot something, just look for me in Bad Company 2 (Kalanth) and you will find me.

Anyone have other ideas? Aside from Final Fantasy 14, cause that crap was crap before crap was crap.
    Eron
    Eron
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

APB and you Empty Re: APB and you

Post  Eron Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:44 pm

This is a tough topic. I was crazy for APB when I first saw articles online... maybe a year ago? It would really stink to see a great idea go to spoil, but it would be so much worse to lose touch with a solid group of gamers like this.

I, too, am no fan of fantasy games. Eve Online is okay, but always came across as a bit sterile. All those little headshots floating around in their isolated ships with no face-time really makes it hard to get motivated about rp. Even though I don't care for fantasy games, I was really impressed with WAR, and the only reason I dropped was because I played so much after release that I ended up restricted in high-level zones with very low populations. I could get motivated to go back. I think City of Heroes might be an option for some. The game has several common elements with APB and strong foundation for both gameplay and roleplay.

Consider, also, that this is a decision we can kick down the road. Even without a miraculous turnaround (and I do have my fingers crossed), APB will continue on for some time. Perhaps we could transition into the upcoming Old Republic, which is scheduled for release next spring.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 pm

I am thinking about Old Republic myself, even though I wish Star Wars would Die in a Fire. The game have always been interested (KoToR that is) and I am interested in this one as well. We shall see what happens between now and then, cause APB is what I really plan to play until they sweep it out from under my legs.
    Mota
    Mota
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Mota Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:33 pm

I have a City of Heroes account. It's fun and has great customization. And I think I played EVE briefly, but I can't remember if I liked it.

I feel that APB has a ton of potential. It's a game that can be a great MMO and making big bucks. Sadly, we have a Dev group that can't seem to develop much. I just think it's crazy that this game has been live for three months and there is already a chance it will go under. If APB gets a better staff, then I think we still have a chance.
    IcePho3nix
    IcePho3nix
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  IcePho3nix Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Yeah, if APB goes down, I'm gonna kick it back to CoH. That said, I hope someone determined buys up APB. I'd like to see it flourish.

But yeah, if we lose this game, I'll still be around. I'm always around.
    Azrakel
    Azrakel
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Azrakel Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Whatever happens, if APB goes under, I'll likely be confined to text roleplaying wherever we go (which I'm fine with, assuming there's an active text-rp scene). I'm just not that big on MMOs in general, APB being the exception because it's a a fun shooter too. I'm not fond of the pay-to-play style for MMOs either, considering they're usually pretty crappy on both gameplay and graphics... most of the time I just end up bored after two weeks feeling like I've wasted money. If it's something free to play, that's a different matter.

I do plan on making an exception for The Old Republic, though.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

Post  Eleutherophobia Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Not planning on playing Star Wars. Would definitely consider moving back to Eve for a while. Most verily excited about The Secret World.
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Azrakel
    Azrakel
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Azrakel Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Eve is that popular with you all, eh? Maybe I'll take a look.
    Carlyle
    Carlyle
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Carlyle Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 pm

You guys are too cool to just leave if the game ends.
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Post  Dice Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:16 am

Dice won't like this, but I do plan on playing a ton of MW: Black Ops single and multiplayer when that drops because I like that simple FPS style.

I don't mind CoD, I just hated MW2. I plan on picking up Black Ops when it hits.

I have another EvE account so I don't mind playing again, I don't have my battlecruiser flying badass caldari character anymore as I sold that account. But I'm broke at the moment, working on a job, and waiting for The old republic and Brink.

Global Agenda looks decent, I might try it and see, the actual game is 30 bucks, but it has no monthly fee.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 am

Dolly was saying you can use in game money to buy game time now. That makes it more tempting to fire up the old accounts. I will be waiting before I do that though, cause if I was to start a new game I would quickly forget about the old one (ADHD does that). Maybe Miss money bags should donate some cash to get us all some real game time (since a trial would not work for people like me and Dice).
    Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Post  Dice Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:01 am

Delinquent wrote:Dolly was saying you can use in game money to buy game time now. That makes it more tempting to fire up the old accounts. I will be waiting before I do that though, cause if I was to start a new game I would quickly forget about the old one (ADHD does that). Maybe Miss money bags should donate some cash to get us all some real game time (since a trial would not work for people like me and Dice).

Yarp. Dolly send Del and I a Pilots license extension K thx bai.

God I regret selling my old account now.

Del I'm downloading the Global Agenda trial on steam, I'll let you know how it is.

Last edited by Dice on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot some shiz.)
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:41 am

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Post  Dice Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:44 am

What a bitch CCP, I finally get re-interested in Eve and I have to activate my account to get a PLEX. /sadface.

I never learned much technical stuff while I played, I just went hard Caldari, blowing shit up for money. Or protecting miners on contracts. Teach us oh wise one.

(Get on vent Dolly.)
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:57 am

I used to spend my time running with a crew that had a shit load of very powerful stuff (people that played since launch without missing a day) and I would just chew up the scraps of both the group loot and the salvage and sell that stuff. I never made a ton of money, but I made enough to be happy.

Let me think about it for a bit, cause I am strongly considering it even though it is such a drastic departure from the current games I like (skill and kill vs click and watch).
    Azrakel
    Azrakel
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Azrakel Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:11 am

...of course, I'd much rather see APB survive and stick with it. =P
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah... I have seen the top players play, and listend to them discuss. All in all it was no more difficult then it is to stack numbers in 3.5 D&D to create an unstopable character.

Even with a mastery of the numbers, the game is still click and watch cause maneuvering your ship means nothing more than a pretty graphical effect (unless that was changed).
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Mota
    Mota
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Mota Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Well EVE is starting to sound good, although I know virually nothing about it. Might check out the free trial, but I'm probably gonna need some help.

Also, thought I'd put this up cause...well free.
    http://www.cityofheroes.com/trial/index.html

I don't know how it works up, but I'm based on the Guardian server. I'm an old vet in CoH but the Dev team is already up to Issue (patch) 17. Meaning, I could show you the basics, but you'd probably have to find some of the sweet stuff alone. It's another option, at least. Also, game features a TON of badges for all you achievement whores (like me)
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Krycek
    Krycek
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Krycek Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:18 pm