Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
InZaneFlea
Pyroclasam
Vicarius
Deshwitat444
Chainer
Ecks
Eleutherophobia
11 posters

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style

Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style Empty Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style

Post  Eleutherophobia Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Let's meditate, for a moment, on uniforms. I'm of the opinion that as a gang, we should not have any sort of imposed uniforms, or restrictions on clothing. We're a mismatched, rag-tag group of unrelated individuals, and our styles should reflect that. I'm entirely comfortable with everything from sexy butler to robot Santa. However, this is by no means meant to be a soliloquy. What does everyone think?
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style Empty Re: Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style

Post  Ecks Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 am

A folksy, jazzy, beatnik [One, two, three]...

with some comfortably modernly retro [One, two, three].

dressed in a smoothly sophisticated [One, two, three].

lounging against a relaxedly reassured: [One, two, three, four].

the while, enjoying a suitably reminiscence of [One, two],

mixed with a perfect blend , and stirred into an almost sepia - brown of [some, of, this ]. (With something [for, the, weekend]).

'Waiting at the corner of 69th and 5th, for the sidewalk to catch up and remember to fan the scratched ink of paper back into her pocket. (With, of course, something [for after eve ning]).

... but always with the top collar and button undone: Dashiell Hammett on the overnight grey-hound from a spoken word recital in Uptown Chicago to mid-town Manhattan; as opposed to Adam Diment racing a sports-model from Bethnal to Whitehall in 60's London.

Last edited by Ecks on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style Empty Re: Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style

Post  Chainer Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 am

I hope I don't step on toes by posting this, but I feel it's the most pertinent contribution I can make to this subject. Elu and I were talking about it for a bit and here's how I feel, summarized in a nice convenient copy and paste. Try it as a spread!

Elu:
    Hrm. I worry that our logo (or...our current logo) is much more suited to spraypainting and tagging, rather than putting on clothes.

Chainer:
    True, I would say that you could offer a logo perhaps that could be re-sized from the size of a cuff-link, all the way up to something to sprawl across the back of a leather jacket. Naturally a group shares a common point, and most typically it is something symbolic. Triads and Yakuza come to mind with their full body tattoo's that are a sign they earned their right and are forever a part of their respective clan. However, there is the mafia; which is rather free-form and it's a guessing game if someone is even 'in the gang'. IE valor jogging suits standing next to the finest 1000 stitch suit. Perhaps something that can be fitted to each personality would be the best, as I mentioned earlier. Almost a customization of the respective personalities allowed to flow into and therefore out of Raindogs.

-------

To add to that:
    We won't be able to set much into stone until we see the full utilization of the customization system. Perhaps there will be an option for gangs to share artwork for either tattoos, clothing, and cars. Hopefully there will be, as that would make things easier to create a link between people who are a rag-tag group.

I do love how Ecks's mixture eventually gets to the 'Ocean's' gang and reaches a finality at Bebop. Those two may be the best reference for what we have going on at this point; at least that's how I see it. We are (Will be?) eventually gathered together by circumstance. Drawn together because 'Hell, that's what works'. At the very least, that's how I see it.
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Ecks Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am

Eleutherophobia wrote:
    I'm of the opinion that as a gang, we should not have any sort of imposed uniforms, or restrictions on clothing. We're a mismatched, rag-tag group of unrelated individuals, and our styles should reflect that.

Chainer wrote:
    Elu:
    ...our logo (or...our current logo) is much more suited to spraypainting and tagging, rather than putting on clothes.

Chainer:
    ...rather free-form and it's a guessing game if someone is even 'in the gang'... a customization of the respective personalities allowed to flow into and therefore out of Raindogs.
    ---

To add to that:
    ...a link between people who are a rag-tag group... eventually gathered together by circumstance. Drawn together because 'Hell, that's what works'.

Exactly this.

Logo:
    I'm very into seeing how it could work plastered in cheap black paint on the side of an old empty warehouse, or even neatly inscribed in an almost calligraphy on a robe, or stamped in dark pressed ink onto a sugar paper personnel file; all of which expresses the paradoxical contrasts of the personalities within the group.

Clothing (and attire):

... also the idea that with there being not much of a tangible coherency or overtly official organised structure other than that provided by context and circumstance - there not being so much an acquired membership as there is being known by familiarity and association; that each of us would, at the least be entirely unconcerned with expressing a rigidly definable representation: at most, an collective effort toward a semblance of recognition and resemblance when required.

At least in so far as not having any kind of gang symbolism or regalia 'assigned' other than that of our own obtuse concoction and nurture; as things and people and places begin to pick up meaning as we assign more and more to the city and crew around us.

---
    Though mostly I enjoy the thought that the name would be one brought to life and afforded breathe by those who speak it in theirs when referring to a group or idea or fathoming they think may have been responsible for this and that and maybe, just maybe, the other thing; most likely a majority of its inhabitants being unsure of their current un-residence as the authorities would be in trying to identify them.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Hrm. An idea struck me when noticing the "Prentiss Boxing Club" t-shirt in the beginning of the video that plays under the style section of the latest apb.com. No doubt we're going to end up crossing paths at similar haunts, and certainly not uniforms, but perhaps we could make it a point to each have a shirt/hat/wristband/jacket from one or all of these places? Just a thought...

(And we happen to have a few places that could reasonably sell tees peppered throughout this forum already:
    • Espresso Royale Cafe
    • "The Next Chapter"
    • Baker Pool Hall

The last, of course, being nearest and dearest to me. And no doubt you creative individuals can come up with more.)
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:56 pm

That is most likely the most forward thought on the subject. While we retain individuality by showing where we pick up, we also show that we share a common ground in where we hang out, thus defining us as a group.

It also raises a question to my own character, where as in previous versions he was often shirtless, now I have to start thinking about what kind of shirt he would wear.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 am

Hrm, Ecks brought up a good point in conversation, though. We do not want these to just turn into inside jokes, and we most definitely do not want to force any kind of culture or mandate any kind of behavior. So perhaps the extent should be this:

• Make them if you'd like.
    • Share them if you will.
    • Wear them if the mood strikes.
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Ecks Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 am

Looking forward, already, to hopefully being able to obtain a "Priceless Tomes" shirt for some of those dusk-brinked late summer strolls.

Next Chapter is a great book shop, though there doesn't seem to be as many archive copies since the buy-out.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Screenshot, in case anyone was unfamiliar as to what spurred this rethinking:

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style Prentissboxingclub
    Deshwitat444
    Deshwitat444
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Deshwitat444 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 pm

What about a tatoo? Like a number for each person in Roman Numerals. I donno, just putting ideas out there.
    Vicarius
    Vicarius
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Vicarius Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Actually I was thinking about something like that too.

Maybe some kind of similar marking/tattoo that we all have somewhere. Just to show some small kind of connection between us.
    Pyroclasam
    Pyroclasam
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Pyroclasam Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Perhaps a stylized sun sitting in the middle of a puddle for the tattoo?
    Vicarius
    Vicarius
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Vicarius Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:51 pm

We'll have to draw up some of our ideas when we get a chance to play with the symbol editor.

I was also thinking that we could try to use similar colors with all our equipments and clothes, yet that may get too uniform than what is wanted.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm still very partial to how Ecks explained our style as very "Oceans" and "Cowboy Bebop". Let's face it, all of our characters are pretty rag-tag in some way, and it's purely circumstantial that we work as a group. Maybe down the road after our feet have gotten wet would be a better time to approach this issue.

I know my first few times in game will be spent purely customizing and making the money to get my first outfit in the closet, and guns too Razz
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 pm

"And me and Molley Hoey drank Pruno and Koolaid, and she had a tattoo gun made out of a cassette motor and a guitar string. And she soaked a hanky in Three Roses and rubbed it on the spot, and drew a rickety heart and a bent arrow and it hurt like hell."

Indeed Chainer, Ecks's's's still most epitomizes what he and I had originally spoken of when this idea of a gang was nothing more than the bud of an idea. I do like the tattoo a whole lot, however. Perhaps something broken and not entirely adhering to a stencil, having been given to us each in a different way depending upon how our story happens to unfold through its own course.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 am

Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 pm

I suggest that we use this or a new thread to discuss the designs... Perhaps one main post at the top of the thread to organize all the choices so they are easier to review?

I am most certainly not posting just to up my count and see what the next forum title is.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 pm

We can use the competition thread to discuss and post entries, I'll clean it up / make another when it comes time to vote.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 am

Shameless response for the sake of getting to 100! Ahem... Cool beans. I'll size stuff down when the time comes, so that way it doesn't take up so much space and seem like I'm striving to gain the eye of everyone lol. I'm just going to work 640x480 for now since it's easier to work larger and make smaller Razz
    InZaneFlea
    InZaneFlea
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

Post  InZaneFlea Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:13 pm

In my very humble and un-initiated opinion, I think SOME sort of gang wide symbology is always welcome. At least some part of every member joins a gang for the comradery and to be a part of something larger. I would more than welcome a tattoo and a 'symbol' or 'logo' of some sort that I could play around with in my designs. Even if it's more like a racecar advertisement logo just above my front wheel, it's something that when looked at closely, people would say 'Oh shit, we should watch out. He's one of them'.

In my silly opinion.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I've been toying around with the RD in game.

I've done a nice Helvetica based font and on my car did a "Metallic on Pearl" so as the light changes, the color does as well.

Basically, depending on the viewing angle you can see the logo. Or not. This isn't an NDA breach, is it?
    LucentWolf
    LucentWolf
    Useless Mutt
    Useless Mutt

Post  LucentWolf Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Eleutherophobia wrote:"And me and Molley Hoey drank Pruno and Koolaid, and she had a tattoo gun made out of a cassette motor and a guitar string. And she soaked a hanky in Three Roses and rubbed it on the spot, and drew a rickety heart and a bent arrow and it hurt like hell."

Indeed Chainer, Ecks's's's still most epitomizes what he and I had originally spoken of when this idea of a gang was nothing more than the bud of an idea. I do like the tattoo a whole lot, however. Perhaps something broken and not entirely adhering to a stencil, having been given to us each in a different way depending upon how our story happens to unfold through its own course.

This is the idea I like the most so far. Not something we all have to have that's the exact same, but maybe a basis to work around that people in the gang could change around the circumstances of that members joining the rain dogs. So we don't all have the exact same tattoo, but something similar with a basic symbol that the rest focuses around. I'd proudly wear something to that effect. Smile
    Nytewing
    Nytewing
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Nytewing Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 am

Chainer wrote:
    Chainer:
    True, I would say that you could offer a logo perhaps that could be re-sized from the size of a cuff-link, all the way up to something to sprawl across the back of a leather jacket. Naturally a group shares a common point, and most typically it is something symbolic.

I know I just joined and still not sure if I'm a rain dog yet o.0 lol I see you already have a beautiful icon here on the forums. It is very symbolic and you can recognize is as small as RainDogsTag I took a stab at in using the early unlockable symbols. And it turned out nice no matter what size it is. Weather its on something as small as a tie, sprawling the back of a hoodie or even bigger, the roof of your car.

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style ScreenShot00018

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style ScreenShot00005

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style ScreenShot00016

Some Soaking Semblance of Standardized Style ScreenShot00007

thoughts comments? I know chainer and lucentwolf saw it already Laughing
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Ecks Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Entirely nice work, Nytewing. I do indeed find it reassuring how well the subtlety of the symbol translates to a smoothness of style when applied to something of reality.

Especially so, when designed as a more discreet, but not at all covert stitching, as with the tie, for example. Not at all asided from sight, though very much has to be sought in order to: initially, view and, additionally, derive meaning - something which, in itself, is as much an indication and allusion toward the style and structure of Rain Dogs, as the intertwining of the letters themselves.
    Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

Post  Delinquent Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am

I am all for that symbol. I believe a full on uniform removes the customization of the character and makes us all to similar, but a symbol is a marking that says I am a part of something. It works well, if you ask me, and fits into the mold of certain gangs in the RL that tattoo their colors on them instead of wearing clothing that matches.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:24 am