Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report.

Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report. Empty À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report.

Post  Ecks Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 am

À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report. Policiapraetorianb

The answer, if there was one, would have to wait until later. My hand hovered gradually toward the grip of my side-arm; the moment of sleeve brushing against shirt, brushing against unit badge, brushing against insignia, brushing against wind, against air and against the grain and fabric of the imagined code of conduct and interaction - the thread which so seemlessly threaded through the city's underworld and, to an extent, its less savoury flavours and tastes. As notice was made and heed was taken toward the impending ineluctability of justice and enforcement of order, I - the pistol raised to point black, my life flashing not before my eyes but on the plastered wall behind the tall one with the bandana; play - park, crayons, pictures, racing tigers, crystal castles in the sky, first kiss - bang, no! It was not a bang, but a click, a warning shot fired across my broadside from this mammoth ship-of-the-line. A reminder that I was no longer on the sunny side of the fence - that the world, in its entirety did not work nor play according to the rules set by suits, shapes and semblances of conclusion; that even this sand-box of co-ordinated chaos and structured lawlessness was entirely of its own creation and entirely without incident.

Mayor Derren had all but auctioned the city to the wealthiest of bidders, merchants and mercenaries with badges - hawks to the field as vultures to their meal. This was not was simply a suburb, a marina, a docks, nor a district - it is was an empire built in less than a day - a ball-game encouraged ever onward by a crowd of cheer and Gregorian chant from a time before now and would, if care was not taken, be lost not to the barbarians at the walls, but to the soldiers within. Preservation. Preservation of life. Preservation of structure - of code - of morals - of ethics - of law... of law. My newspaper reported on, always and forever, on the absence of each. Not because of ineffectual crafts-man-ship, under-paid architects or twenty percent cuts on each and every construction bill to the local Venetians; but because each brick of the wall, each card of the house and each dependant protectorate was being melted to sand on a distant shore for one of a handful of city-halliers, smelted to gold for their accountants or left to rubble and ruin at the expense of a conveniently under-priced budget. The fact that these people seemed to find a comfort in ensuring this balance of 'just-so' and 'just-right' was not simply illegal, but wrong.

Mention made, once, upon my arrival from the handful of residents gathered around.

Where I arrived to was as run-down to the eye as it was to my nose and mouth: a horizon of the smell and taste of cigar smoke and caffeine lingering just outside the cafe. The place itself, emptied earlier that afternoon; amidst the faux-shock of the commandeering of its real-estate. Armed, maybe. Dangerous, not at all. Soon to be under arrest, definitely.

It was around 19:36 when I received the call. An all points bulletin request for an individual known to the authorities only as 'suspect', in addition, a known associate of the borderline - criminal group known as 'Rain Dogs'.

My response was intuitive, quick, practiced and rehearsed, almost to the point of being
    instinctual. "Communications check; one... two" toward the microphone of my comm-piece, wrapped around my hair and head like the Ouroborus. The communicative loop of my check being answered in kind by the voice on the other end, its tongue as quick and as sharp with its wit as the mythological beast's, "Lethe protocol initialised."

... it was code, a metaphor requesting a confirmation of the operative's of... my identity; my response was intuitive, quick, practiced and rehearsed, almost to the point of being instinctual, "Ready with the book."

"Challenge authentication protocol verified. Please proceed with mission at your convenience. Communicative support on - hand."

It was now or later; and I preferred now. Never before had I or any of the others come across this individual, at least, not in their reports, at least not... 'officially'. My mission set, my objective clear; dispatch toward and follow the individual and, if necessary, retain for further questioning relating to activities within the San Paro area.

A homeless man sat by me this entire time and just as I set foot to take leave, looked up with an almost knowingly expectant expression. What he said next, I can hear still if I concentrate: a gruff voice clinging to a semblance of coherence on a life raft of cigars and cigarettes, set adrift and almost drowning amidst a sea of age - old, stale dry whiskey and bourbon...

"I'm not all that hungry, but I've always wondered... what do the rats eat?"

[Picture thanks to Yevgeny Resetnikov of Digital Breizh].

Last edited by Ecks on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report. Empty Re: À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report.

Post  Ecks Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:34 pm

- pressing the contoured metal; warm to the touch, against the tips of her fore-finger and thumb, into and along each of the smoothly contoured moments of ticking - combining in their entirety to endure an especially slowed, subdued, and smooth, zip; sealing the shift between wearer and wind. The sound's soft purr meshing silently with the push of each droplet of rain against the associated plastics and industry of her contextually appropriate ashen jacketed leather.

An under-city away from the dreamily whimsical ivory-cast towers of downtown, it was here that there was work to be done. The smog and smoke funneled from surrounding chutes of commerce, fuelled by consumed souls of nine-to-five and do-what-you're-told-if-not-what-we-tell-you, chaffing at the neck; its unrelenting desire to smother the presence of they who resisted only strengthening the resolve of the under-hive's inhabitants. There was life, still, to be lived.

Time was to be had, but only some was taken.

Grudgingly, consciousness was making its way back from the bar-stool, groggily sifting over the asphalt paving of the long-shore of the docks; three or four whiskeys too many - straight, only a little ice for that head wound.

An effortlessly natural accent of soothfully plain italics, written in quill from a well of viscous caramel for flavour; across a parchment of a North American settler adventure. Not the kind from the side of a magazine stand for 75¢ but a 'with its musket barrel restant upon the shoulder of an old Frost prose; negotiating a treaty with the settlers in the midst of the advent of banking', kind of a deal. Like a whisper, on the edge of hearing. If she followed the sights, the sounds and the smells she could at least follow the trail through this wilderness, like a tracker to... - probably not.

It brought with it, on this occasion; stalled grasps at a dreary lucidness with limbs and extremities sewn together with surrealism; her thoughts as a cannister of paint thrown vaguely over the canvas of her mind. Shapes, shadows, figures and parking tickets making their way to the foreground. With each attempt, each straw of togetherness grew as much in length as it diminished in importance; a final, sentient attempt to return to the imminent danger of the surroundant thugs back in the land of the living possessed singly of profit and a pliable trade of advantage in mass. Bending to take kneel and moment of rest at the edge of reason, the intimately untimely messenger of awakedness thudded face-first into the road-side lake of tranquility and kept on sinking like a weightless reminiscence of sense until there wasn't any bottom.

Detective recommended to liaise with Agent Aurelius toward investigation of funding for [file sealed] suspected criminal group.

- Lieutenant van der Schmidt.

Last edited by Ecks on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report. Empty Re: À la recherche du temps perdu mémoire intrinsèque: incident report.

Post  Ecks Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:08 am

The cluster of densely shaded leaf nestled comfortably at the edge of the sidewalk outlining the park were as tanned in their colour as the tall figure which strode along side; which is to say more so than earlier in the year. An intensely more cinnamon shading of leather had about them a crayon or marker pen to scribe upon a map which any kind of essence or journal in follow would be able to take note of where they had been, if not about to go and provided a sturdy foundation to their collosseum of character, just as the construction works past which they were beginning to move would do for the considerably classical yet optimistically modern architecture of the historically wealthy district about them. Further above, patch-works of glass began to hold prominence, allowing the sandstone arches below a more than earned rest - barely as reflective as inductive in meaning; a more insular expression of design and naturally complimentary to a thin-lined seem to a thick charcoal material enveloping a fabric of oak and mahogany; the latter moulded together to form a close-fitting shirt; draped over it a loose throw of single-cut tie; fresh from the bakery that morning, as with the maple danish carried neatly to its side; the digits around which it rested as loose in their grip as the avenues' hold on its inhabitants - a mutual ease of willing and want ensuring both staying in place. Further still, skyline approached on a level with the highest and tallest structures and scrapers; some with a finish of neatness and smoothness of conclusion, while others still reaching toward the clouds as much in statement of achievement as in effort to be noticed and holding of recognition begotten only in the way that a three-tiered golden tower of thinly pressed metal can. It had intended to be a shiny gold but, by now, it was dusk and everything was an orangey-sepia like the trees in the park or the soft, moist pastry. Except for the hair which was a kind of rusted red; as if aged through seasons of experience and emotion -

- as well as the eyes. An apparently implacable blue which threatened to drown anyone that delved too far within without an oar or paddle and almost paradoxical contrast to their expression; a burning inquiry, relentless in their investigation of the curious; passive in their disinterest toward anything found undeserving. Though just as that flame can singe, so too can it provide warmth.

"So that was the last time you caught sight?"
    "I think so."
    "You think so?"
    "Well then I know so."
    "Right."
    "So then can I leave, now?"
    "Sure you can, but tell me something before you go."
    "Yes?"
    "You always have this good a lawyer around, or only on special occasions?"
    "I'll have you know he wasn't my lawyer."
    "An 'associate'?"
    "Actually, he was an old friend from home."
    "When you say 'home', exactly, do you mean--..."
    "-- I believe I've answered more than enough, for the moment."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:22 am