Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

RP conventions, thoughts, etc

Petra Bealer
    Petra Bealer
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

RP conventions, thoughts, etc Empty RP conventions, thoughts, etc

Post  Petra Bealer Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi, I'm not officially in charge of anything, quite obviously. Or maybe not quite obviously. It should be obvious though. Anyway!

Anyway. From where I'm sitting, I like the idea of the action district not being totally divorced from the RP side... but some aspects of it will have to be. We routinely get shot and killed in the action districts, and are all highly violent people. We have communication with clan members up all the time, many of whom we've never met.

So how do we want to reconcile that?

Also leading into discussions of what our images of what the Rain Dogs are too. I half see it as something getting by through word of mouth with something akin to cellphone accessible chatroom. We got in through whatever method we got in but so far have been either doing our own thigns or doing so in small groups... anyway.

This may all be obsolete post-meeting but throwing it out there for input.
    Eron
    Eron
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

RP conventions, thoughts, etc Empty Re: RP conventions, thoughts, etc

Post  Eron Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Now sure what the second point is about... Perhaps you could expand on that concept.

But the first concept, I totally get. We can write about stuff in the forums all day, but the forums are only slightly interactive. I feel that we can encourage these RP introductions and interactions which will help grow our gang culture through in-game RP events. My suggestion would be something I touched on at today's guild meeting at RTW - open a forum thread to announce in-game RP events. Some examples of these events could be:

* Clan throwdown at the Club. Find a Social instance with an open DJ table at Trespass and dominate the dancefloor. Or jump the VIP rope and kick back around the stripper pole. Or mob up the downstairs bar until it's three-deep and no one can get a drink!

* Show off your ride. Rain Dogs line up their wheels in front of Subversion or Gaijin or a vehicle turn-in to display gang pride and solidarity.

* (Uh... Maybe I'll edit in more later when I think of something else. silent )

Events like these should be geared towards two specific goals. First, they must encourage RP, fraternity and creativity within gang culture. Also, these events should also involve some measure of visibility so unaligned players looking for an RP clan will notice our gatherings and see our active efforts to encourage the gang culture.
    Petra Bealer
    Petra Bealer
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Petra Bealer Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Ah. By "convention" here I was meaning the "Convention (norm), a custom or tradition, a standard of presentation or conduct" context rather than the "Convention (meeting), a large gathering of people who share a common interest" one.

For clarification... the second point was on the point that Ele brought up and some others commented on regarding, for example, the awkwardness of just interacting with each other in the Social district. Like, maybe there was an assumption... okay, we're all in a gang, so we all know each other... but then there's characters our characters may have no background of interacting with ingame. So I was kind of musing on what the gang is, organization-wise, such that it would make sense that hey, maybe we wouldn't know everyone personally at first.

My point though with the first though was more... some of the things involved with RP, especially if we get involved with groups RPing enforcers, are going to be reflected from the action district. If we pave or get rocked by an enforcer group, I think it would completely defeat the point if we didn't have a way to RP involved around it. Licking our wounds preparing for another go, celebrating victory, whatever. One way or another though, there's going to be a separation between what makes sense IRL and what is ingame for mechanics reasons. EVE (I use EVE because it's the only other MMO I play and I RP in it continuously) has nice built in explanations; it's sci-fi and they have technical articles describing how the players are recloned in the event they're killed... but this isn't EVE, and there's a few areas there's clear gaps. Like, for example, how one can die a couple hundred times instead of the, you know, once or twice that we're familiar with IRL. Or how we've been talking OOCly in /c and know each other that way somewhat even if our characters have never met face to face.

I mean Petra's crazy so I have an easy out, but it's nice to be able to have ways to refer to things in, for example, stories, without having to break the veil of obvious game mechanics.

I like the event ideas, mind, that's just not what I was trying to say.
    Claire
    Claire
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Claire Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 pm

RPing in action district is made easy for Enforcers, given they don't get random APBs called on them. But for Crims like ourselves, it's harder. I'm all for a little rping in action every now and then, but I don't think everyone wants this, so in my opinion it should be left to the people participating at the moment [ie. get in a group that wants to rp in action and go do stuff that way, it would help to keep a low notoriety].

If we were to rp on voice chat, this would be made easy, but most don't wish to do this/don't have a mic, so that is called out... well, this was all mentioned on the meeting, so I won't just echo it lol

I am all about the rp events!! I think it's a great idea, and a good solution to our lack of rp problem. By what I understand some people want to rp a lot, and others prefer to play and rp on the side, so this should make it easy for everyone to meet at a middle ground and have the sessions/events.

It would be great if, like in EVE, there was a way to make an rp channel for the clan [as you mentioned in the meeting]. Unfortunately that isn't the case. We are left with decisions.
    I know someone posted in this forum somewhere about how the 1st Royal Special Purpose Regiment runs their rp. Certain channels are OOC and others are strict IC [including some which are radio/cellphone]. I think a system like that would work wonders, and would allow for a persistent way to rp [in that system voice chat is OOC, btw].
    Idk, just throwing it out there ^_^

Eron
    Eron
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Eron Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:51 am

Only on the one point - criminals only get random APBs when their Notoriety is over 2. If we plan for the RP event and go into action district without executing random people and blow stuff up, we can hold our event uninteruppted.
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Ecks Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Convention.

The character:

The most defining characteristic to each and every character, second to their words and actions, would be definitely defined as the motivation behind them. An espect perhaps most eloquently communicated through expression of observance - not only through thought and idea, but also through a praxis thereof.

As a representation of personality; from something as evidently created for such a purpose as the customisation of both clothing and vehicle to a language perhaps more acutely abstract in nature as choice of vocabulary during missions to the kinds of dealings undertaken, to begin with - and, from all of which; toward what end.

That is to say, that I would not think there has to necessarily be a degree of separation measured between the 'action' and 'social' districts in terms of how someone may wish to play their character - and, especially so, the capacity to which, in each, they are able to do so.

Interaction:

In expansion of the above, I would advocate that, just as integral to both character development and the building of bonds between those whom may inhabit this imaginatively creative environment is the ability to be able to share not only words and wisdom but also, existance. In that, the co-ordination and co-operation required for the progression and subsequent perfection of missioning can prove just as strengthening to the kinds of bonds which may hoped to be developed - at the very least, to a level of being able to feel of comfortable in interaction and discussion with 'team' and 'group' members.

In doing so, we are invariably able to create an inevitable history of biography and convention, rather than to assume the presence of one which may be otherwise absent.

In a term: in the quietest of rooms, even the softest of whispers can give invitation to the most engaging of debates.

Rain Dogs:

Following from which, an aspect of this group to which I am personally drawn is the, not only availability, but capacity to institute a context of convention and familiarity of our very own creation. That through the actions of those present; one of those stories only slightly over heard from toward the back of an old diner, above the feint smell of evening-old espresso may actually be about us.

Each of us with their own reason for being, having been, and for arriving in San Paro - not least their venture of having sought, or having stumbled across this niche collective - the Rain Dogs.

That through such a collection of individuals, beckoning from across the entire range and spectrum of background, experience and perspective; do we have a unique chance to forge our own San Paro headlines and notes scribbled on the back of a stale, coffee-rimmed napkin outside of Peg's in the most intuitive and engaging of ways.

Traversing the bridge between imagination and mechanics.

A coin which, when flipped, often lands face up.

On the other side of the same coin, however, may be the reasoning that, in the opposite, in-game mechanics may instead be a representation of the events of the character - restrained only by its system of play.

For example, that an unsuccessful mission within game may be described "In Character" as having been prevented from carrying it out, for any one of a number of reasons - there was increased security; the security van had not arrived at the planned time; you instead decided to not risk twenty five years in prison for posession of an unregistered weapon and armed robbery and, infact, left the safehouse to go to your favourite book-shop for a relaxing read. However, since there may not be the capacity for the representation of either of these outcomes, in-game, there is instead a 'time-out' or 'capture' or 'death' - so can such be explained within a literary or 'In Character' context.

Last edited by Ecks on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Eron
    Eron
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Eron Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Yeah. What he said! Very Happy

Seriously, I don't believe it's necessary to explain or define every game mechanic with a RP device. I'm reminded of one of the themes in Rodriguez's film, "Once Upon A Time In Mexico". A Mexican informant (played by Cheech Marin) meets with a CIA Agent (played by Johnny Depp) over a plate of shredded pork to exchange information on a mysterious gunfighter (played by Antonio Bandares). The story Marin tells is ridiculous, totally unbelievable, and he stops to admit that such stories are routinely embellished - it's just a part of Mexico's romantic and mysterious culture.

He doesn't have to explain the desperate efforts of a guitarist and his bride to evade a jealous Mexican general and his army in exact measures, especially when the fiction is so much more captivating. I don't think it's necessary to explain how one character came to know another unless and until that explanation furthers the story. After all, the seamless way that two criminals work to further their crime spree may be facilitated by wireless voice communication, but might it also be attributable to a long and yet-untold partnership?

I don't mean to be trollish. But if ever I knew an absolute in writing, it is that no word should be wasted, no lifeless paragraph should be spared, and every fiction should leave a reader wanting.
    Thorsten
    Thorsten
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Thorsten Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 pm

This is an interesting discussion, and I just want to share my thoughts.

VOIP rp:

VOIP presents great potential for highly immersive rp. This will be difficult to do, to get into character and stay in character throughout a session, but no more so demanding than a serious tabletop rpg session or a LARP. With practice it will get easier and easier. Unfortunately it's also a pretty big obstacle for those of us with different gender characters.

VOIP rp also is the best advertisement for rp you can have in APB. When people hear us yelling "I got the drugs! Let's get the fuck outta here!" and having a great time, a surprising number of them might be inspired to start rping themselves. What would happen if an enforcer starts reading a criminal his rights? Once I was getting a car and an enforcer came up to me and started rping. "Hey we don't like your kind around here boy!" to which I responded, "This city's gonna burn! Get the hell outta my way!"

So... those of us who feel like doing it just let yourselves be known, and when like minded people group up, we just see what happens with our APB virtual larp Very Happy

Game mechanics and rp:

APB is a game, and not particularly a realistic one at that. Some things need to be handwaved.

Death: irl people can be shot repeatedly and not only survive, but run a couple miles if their adrenaline is pumping hard enough, or there's too much blood in their meth stream. In one particular incident told to me by a person who experienced it, an Afghan had been shot 5 times by an AK47 and he walked for miles in extreme pain to reach a US base where he could get medical treatment. He surely would have died had he not gotten medical care, but seeing as APB missions only last 10 minutes, that's an easy handwave.
    Handwave: dying in the game is not death, but incapacitation due to injury, shock or pain. The character grits his teeth and continues to fight (respawns). What's to keep him from shooting up with a disposable morphine shot mixed with an amphetamine? A quick jab and he's back in the action. This even creates more rp as another character gives him first aid in the car while they're driving to the next point.

Arrest: In the game people get stunned and cuffed. They get placed under arrest. They do NOT get taken into custody. Instead, they get left there on the sidewalk (if they don't get shot). Handwaves: picking the cuffs, kicking the window out of the enforcer's car and escaping (Debbie Harry of Blondie did that once irl) or any other thing you can think of. What if the enforcer knows he can't stop and control one prisoner while a gunfight is in progress, so he just leaves him there, meaning to come back. He probably wouldn't even use real handcuffs, but just plastic binding strips. What happens if you need to arrest 10 crims? You're not going to carry 10 pairs of handcuffs. It's really not that important. When a crim rejoins his group, he can just say "I got away." It's a handwave, but the handwaves in Avatar were far lamer.

It's Who You Know: We can always just say we met so and so at a club or at TresspAss, or we heard about the person. Introductions would last all of 1 minute, like when Thorsten met Bradford at the RTW meeting. There's nothing to say our characters don't have bluetooth earpieces and they're on a group call during the mission.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:20 pm