Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Thorsten
Claire
Dice
7 posters

Mentality.

Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Mentality. Empty Mentality.

Post  Dice Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:19 pm

When it comes to success in missions and dispatches, your mentality is a good part of the key to victory.

My mentality.
    Mentality. Wasps
    Claire
    Claire
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Mentality. Empty Re: Mentality.

Post  Claire Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Epic Dice. Just epic. Very Happy

What to beware of:
    Mentality. Overconfidence

My purpose in destruction:
    Mentality. 1172198256264

And the age old classic:
    Mentality. SLaughter
    Thorsten
    Thorsten
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Mentality. Empty Mentality revisited

Post  Thorsten Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:09 am

Discoveries about mentality...

APB is a hunting game.

They're already there, camping everything. They have the upgrades, the NTECs, and the long range GPS guided sub-launched anti-Thorsten stun torpedoes. They have more guys, better cars, better everything (except their themes, which SUCK). Why don't they just napalm the district as soon as I log in? Sheesh.

So, my mission isn't to do the mission, my mission is to hunt the enemy and then do the mission.

Patience. Tactical patience. When the little orange Screw You Thorsten triangle pops up, I drive up to about 100-150m away and circle the area, looking for red names and spying out the area. I look for entrances and exits and try to figure out where they would most likely camp then close in on foot. once at 100-80m I circle the block on foot. The idea is that since they're camping the target, when I approach from a distance circling, they will have their backs to me. Alot of times this gives me the drop on them, and I get 3 or 4 shots in before they get their first one. Of course they just kill me, but it won't always be that way.

Respawing. One trick I learned from the enforcers is that as soon as you kill someone, jump in the car and haul ass around the block and catch them before they're ready. You know they're going to respawn about 100m out from where you killed them, so patrol around the block and catch them again. They're enforcers, they deserve it.

Weapons. I have to know my weapons. I have to spend some serious time reading the forums about how to use the weapons most effectively and which upgrades to get in the most effective combinations. One time I just shot at a wall with each of my guns just to see the pattern of hits. I was amazed at how the bullets go all over the place even at short ranges.

Anyway, that's it.
    Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

Post  Delinquent Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:07 am

I have one mentality, born of a game I never played and developed in one I played for years.

ZERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:34 am

Ok kids, time for a lesson:

1.) Basic missions:
    Most people go for the kills before the objective. This is nothing short of a sure-fire way to lose a mission. I can't tell you how many times I'd be far away, flanking the enemy and keeping them down while my other teammates are just sitting there waiting for the kills or spending their time chasing one enemy instead of hitting down the objective.

A.) You may or may not already know, but it is worth saying. If you start an objective (Timer, example: Graffiti, Bomb, car jacking, ect ect.) the time doesn't diminish unless you're in the last 3/4's of it. It will stay where it is, unless it's the case of the last 3/4's it will revert back to exactly 3/4's.

B.) If someone else is guarding an entryway, why not move to the other one? Keep your eyes on that one, as you'll either hear or see (on radar) if the enemy is taking pop-shots at your friendly. This isn't a time that one should go running like crazy to get the kill, let your friendly do his/her thing.

B2.) Now I know some of you have played with me, and when I have the chance, I run up like crazy. That's for two reasons: First being that I specialize in short range weapons (OCA, NFAS, JG). Reason two being that when playing with someone like Nyte, Nav, or anyone who is used to grouping the way we do; they know that keeping them pinned is better than just taking hits because the kill will happen. If you have someone who can run up, slam them, help them out. If not, keep back and make them play on your terms(Which flows into C).

C.) I notice that people run towards others or blindly back into a fight after a respawn. This is the biggest reason for failure to win a mission. Not only are you at most times alone, but you're just putting the odds against you (3-1, 4-1, 5-1 ect.). This just creates a kill-train for your enemies who are nicely comfortable with their situation and all guns ready to be fired at just you. Wait until your team can catch-up, you'll do better if you're all organized and not just running around helter-skelter. A bit of flanking will help too, remember for each enemy down it returns the favor to you for a period of time. So if you can even get one person to flank and fly under radar yourself while they draw fire (Even die sometimes) it gives the rest of the team a chance to get in and clear the area. Chances then are that person that flanked will still remain behind the enemy for a chance of surrounding and confusing the enemy.

2.) Escape missions/VIP missions:

This can be tricky, depending on the terms it was started. Most escape missions I've noticed people either end up split up, or just sticking together too close. There is a difference between fresh fish and tightly packed sardines. Too close together is too easy to kill everyone. To loose it's too easy for a group to move from one person to the next with all firepower dedicated to that one person.

Ae.) Find a spot, camp the shit out of it. Don't stray too far from your team. If you do and you die, use it to your advantage after they've focused on the rest of the group. You're under the radar, perfect time while they are concentrating forward to kill from behind. Yes, I know that they can see where we are via the HUD. But remember, they aren't concentrating on it if they have a potential kill that they are already looking at. I've learned that HUD positioning only accounts for little and doesn't do much in the long run.

Be.) If you are singled out, they will be using that HUD to find you out. Avoid sitting at corners because they are already one step ahead of you and priming that nade for when you pop out. Keep moving through whatever cover you can towards your friendlies.

Av.) Number one rule of VIP missions is get the VIP to a safe spot that they can camp. Usually there are some good graffiti spots that include this. Financial has a wonderful scaffolding that nades can't reach, and snipers can't hit a crouched VIP from. Waterfront has another that is only accessible if the barrels have not been destroyed. This leads into...

Bv.) When your VIP is safe, it's kill train time. Don't follow them up to the spot, because that leaves less firepower on the street to accumulate the kills needed to win. Your death isn't a factor here, so get to it. But again, don't stray too far from your VIP and always keep your eye on the entrances. Did someone make it to the overhang that leads to the scaffolding? Firepower should be focused on that person. Did the barrels respawn? Destroy them before they can be used.

Cv.) On your way to the spot you've picked? Hope the VIP isn't hanging out of the car! You can very easily get killed if you're hanging out and your driver hits something. Best spot for the VIP is either driving (If they are the best driver) or tucked into a passenger seat, window up and not trying to get shots off.

3.) Basic gameplay hints/strategies:

Some of this seems simple, but I've noticed in execution it's often missed. These are just the basics that Dice and I abide by when we are doing missions together.

A.) Always wait 'till you're close as you can get before getting out of the car. Usually when I'm driving I'll give a beep when we are as close as I know we can get in a car. Don't jump out early, as usually I (And dice) will drift to a stop. If you're on the wrong side of the drift, you're dead. No questions asked. Seems stupid, but it is a big deal if you're getting to a camping spot/objective and lives or time matter.

B.) Watch infront of you! I can't tell how many times I've been aced when a friendly comes around a corner to see me in a firefight with an enemy, only to get kill happy and start unloading rounds in our direction. Nine times out of ten, stray bullets will hit your friendly and take away any edge they just had on the opponent. Now, if you're beside them, that's one thing. Or If you're able to time your shots so during the strafing, perfect fire when acceptable. But this has come to be a peeve of mine, and really prevented me from being able to get up in the face of the enemy.

C.) Crouching saves lives. Got a long shot you're trying to take out? Or are you close range and on the edge of dying? Hit the crouch button. I've noticed people go for the torso since we have non-location specific damage. It's big, and easy to hit. But if you crouch they need to adjust their shot and you don't. This leaves you precious moments to get more hits in, and get the kill versus being the one getting killed.

D.) Good communication saves on the phone bill. In vent, a lot of side chatter happens and that's only natural. But in the middle of missions, it's best to save it for after. Sure, we all get pissed too. Save the bitching. It only brings down everyone else, or makes them be quiet. I know I've taken the route of keeping to myself when that happens, and I've been really working on "If I am mad, I don't need to hit the button.". If you're not on vent, try to get in it. You'd be surprised how much better you'll do as a team (Both with wins AND kills) if everyone can hear "Rushing up." "Two, northwest of your position." "Time's running out, get the objective!".

E.) Back in line with A, if you're the driver turn the car around for a quick escape. Got 2 others in the car with you, mention what seat is open. Got one person with you in a 2 seater? Block or jab another car with yours if your friendly doesn't have a car anymore. Think efficiency, it will help in the long run.

F.) Carrying a suitcase? Nice. But make sure to put it in the trunk if you're not the driver. That way our guns will be loaded and ready to slowdown/takeout any pursuers.

G.) All Aboard! If everyone is in the same car, try to make it a norm to have the longer range weapons or the weapons with more hard damage to the rear. Those are your car busters, and they will slow down a car much faster than someone who has to use an ACT 44 because their preliminary is a sniper rifle. Also, and I cannot stress this enough; WATCH FOR FRIENDLY FIRE! If you're riding shotgun and a car is behind you, chances are you're going to kill your friendly before you even hit the enemy car. Same for side to side. I've gotten aced by my own team more than once because of this again.

H.) Lollipops are awesome. And so is the game when everyone is in a good mood. Take care what you say on mic, and in district. Sure, we all get into arguments but even then, just say your piece and don't take it too far. When you run into that person again, just out think them and jam 'em hard. Make 'em regret it, but not with words. Words are worthless. But even moreso is us together. Kinda goes back to D. But sometimes people aren't hearing or understanding. Don't take those moments of "bomb... Bomb... BOMB! ARM IT!" in defense.
    Petra Bealer
    Petra Bealer
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Petra Bealer Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 am

Mentality? In the style of Dice's, I'm thinking "nun with a ruler". I feel it is my goal in life to watch for any mistakes people make and punish them for it. Sniper not watching his back? *WHACK* People not getting out of a car and scattering? *WHACK* Guy running in the open without any cover? *WHACK* Someone with a long range weapon trying to duel at medium range? *WHACK* Person not watching as they run back towards the objective? *WHACK*

I'm RPing a crazy person and... just honestly most of the time don't care if I get shot a lot doing this, but I have a pretty good feel on how I can manage it so that at least one person dies before I do, sometimes more if the timing works out. And a lot of times it seems like the better players expect people to be a little more risk averse, so the persistence past the point of making sense throws them off a little.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:25 pm