Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Care and feeding of pineapples

Petra Bealer
    Petra Bealer
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Care and feeding of pineapples Empty Care and feeding of pineapples

Post  Petra Bealer Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:11 am

Okay, throwing this out there (ha ha, pun) because I'm not spectacular with the things. I'd defaulted to the percussion grenades because I could make them work for at least some things - mostly destroying cars - but that's about it. And after all the times of getting smacked with stun or concussion grenades it's rather plain that there's more out there to be done with them than that. Now that I unlocked Concussion grenades myself (Reinforcement 5 I'm pretty sure?) I'd be interested to hear any tips that people had.
    Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

Care and feeding of pineapples Empty Re: Care and feeding of pineapples

Post  Delinquent Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Ah the pineapple, my favorite way to kill. I managed to score as high as 6th on the daily kills with grenades so far, finishing the day with 37 kills. Since then I have developed a bit of an obsession with using these things. Hell, in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 I have three gold stars with Grenades (about 500 kills) and that is where I learned a lot about using them.

Here are my tips:

1. Cook until golden brown. Never just throw the pineapple, you need to cook it for effect. The range on the toss will also tell you how long to cook it. If you are dropping it on an enforcer that just rolled up on you then you want to go until it is starts screaming and throw, if they are about 100m away and closing then one beep will do.

2. Angle and trajectory are important. If you are throwing the pineapple with the intent of causing maximum damage to a vehicle then aim low and throw the grenade under the vehicle. If you throw high it will bounce and detonate in the air which is less likely to destroy anything. If you are aiming at people then getting a bounce so it goes up to their chest or face is good as it will kill them instantly if you pull this off.

3. Off the glass! Use the walls and environment around you. If an enforcer is hiding down an alleyway waiting for you to toss those grenades then go ahead and do so, but make sure you do it right. Don't aim for the middle or bottom of the wall, that will shorten the bounce and reduce the range. Toss the grenade slightly above the middle or high and it will bounce further down the alleyway and give you a solid chance for the "blind kill."

4. Taste the product. As Dice has proven time and again, when lives don't matter then you should never be afraid to sucide bomb with that grenade. If they are using lethal weapons then it will still be live if they kill you, if they are using LTL then make sure you release the toss bottom just before you get to them (aiming down of course) as that will ensure the grenade remains live as the try to arrest you.

5. Try not to share with friends. If there are teammates in the fray dancing about it is generally not a good idea to throw a grenade. I do anyways, but that is a personal thing and not something I recommend.

The grenade is actually more of a finese weapon that people realize and to use it with skill is an impressive thing.

Last edited by Delinquent on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Ecks Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Hmm. I remember an old favourite being that the grenade itself may serve as a method of shielding and alteration, as opposed to reserving deployment for use toward an actual individual or group.

For example:

Method a]
    Care and feeding of pineapples Projection_a

In this example, we have the 'concussion grenade / flash bang' employed as a way to close the arc of engagement between the individual and the competition. With the area of effect of the device presenting a path of most resistance to the opponent, the choice is then created of either: moving through the blast radius, and thus encounter an effect of disorientation, or to move forward, to the other end of the wall; and, so, into the individual's arc of engagement.

Method b]
    Care and feeding of pineapples Projection_b

Similar in methodology to the first example, yet differing in motivation and application, we have the device in use as a method of shielding, instead of re-direction. In its employment, the grenade is seen to create the choice for the competition to either: maintain their original position and, thus; increase the distance between them and the individual, or to move through the area of effect and so ensure a vulnerability of fire and subsequent engagement by the individual.

Method c]
    Care and feeding of pineapples Projection_c

In something of a departure from the previous two examples of use, we have here the device in employment as a tactic of mis-direction: creating the illusion of location of the individual and, so, creating for them an extra avenue of evasion, not previously possible without risk of engagement. The reliant thought within the mind of the competition being that the visibility of blast radius may relate to the location of the individual - as whomever would risk deployment of the device so close to their own position.

Delinquent wrote:
    The grenade is actually more of a finese weapon that people realize and to use it with skill is an impressive thing.
    - entirely true.

---
    I would hope this style of guide may be of assistance.
    Additionally, a delicious naming of thread ^_-

Dmitri
    Dmitri
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Dmitri Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Thank you for the information! I'm in the same boat as Petra, and this is really handy to know.

I must now go... and practice! Preferably on some enforcers.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:17 am