Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Eleutherophobia
Chainer
Delinquent
7 posters

True Live and RP

Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

True Live and RP Empty True Live and RP

Post  Delinquent Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 am

Ok gang, the game is true live as of today! I think now is the time that we really buckle down and work on trying to stay IC as much as we can. We all got pretty distracted by the flashing lights, car chases, and intense gun fights and as a result all of us were OOC the entire pre-launch period. Here, cut and pasted from the 1st Royal Special Pupose Regiment (Enforcers) forums are some of their guidelines for RP:

Role-Play Etiquette in APB

The unofficial role-play server in APB is LaRocha. All RSPR members will be playing on this server, and you're encouraged to as well.

The purpose of this thread is to set out some basic guidelines for role-play in APB. Members of RSPR are expected to adhere to these guidelines, but obviously non-members may do as they wish.

BASICS

- The in-game name of your character should reflect your character's callsign. You should also have a first and last name of your character, which can be used outside of combat situations.
    - Stay in character in all in-character chat channels at all times (a list of these appears below).
    - Ignore any person who attempts to disrupt public role-play, or who are simply not participating.
    - Any player who attempts to join in with public role-play should not be ignored.

In-Character Chat Channels

The following chat channels are in-character:

- Say
    - Yell
    - Clan
    - Group
    - Officer
    - Team

All voice chat, be it in-game or through Ventrillo is considered OOC - only typed chat is IC.

All other channels are out of character. Say and yell are both your character speaking directly, and clan, group, officer and team are radio channels.

More details will be posted in this thread soon, including appropriate etiquette for the radio channels.

I believe that we should start following the section in bold at this time. During a mission I can understand if we go silent in the text sense of the word and we should try to avoid letting the Vent or VOIP system overwhelm our RP. This is our time to shine. We already know we are good enough to hang with the hardcore players (see below) but now it is time to show them what we are best at.

True Live and RP CompetetiveBalance
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

True Live and RP Empty Re: True Live and RP

Post  Chainer Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 am

[quote="Delinquent"]

[b]The following chat channels are in-character:

- Say
    - Yell
    - Clan
    - Group
    - Officer
    - Team

I'd rather hear directly from Ele about what is IC and what isn't as opposed to an enforcer's group. As far as I always knew, Gang chat was always OOC unless stated otherwise.

If I'm wrong here, let me know. But I'd much prefer a post from Ele elaborating on what is indeed IC vs. OOC. In my two cents I can't see how clan chat is a reasonable IC chat system, being that you would need to explain it in such a way as "We have our cells on all the time and wired into our ears, and everyone is on one line that inter-connects." In MxO that worked because everyone was connected via their network of hovercrafts, but this is modern day in my eyes.

But I'll go with whatever our talented leader decides! And I didn't make this post to discourage anyone that wants to RP in clan, it's just how I see it personally.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:08 am

Chainer wrote:I'd rather hear directly from Ele about what is IC and what isn't as opposed to an enforcer's group. As far as I always knew, Gang chat was always OOC unless stated otherwise.

If I'm wrong here, let me know. But I'd much prefer a post from Ele elaborating on what is indeed IC vs. OOC. In my two cents I can't see how clan chat is a reasonable IC chat system, being that you would need to explain it in such a way as "We have our cells on all the time and wired into our ears, and everyone is on one line that inter-connects." In MxO that worked because everyone was connected via their network of hovercrafts, but this is modern day in my eyes.

But I'll go with whatever our talented leader decides! And I didn't make this post to discourage anyone that wants to RP in clan, it's just how I see it personally.

You are dead on, sir. I apologize if it looked like I was stepping on Ele's toes there. I looked through the charter and remembered talking to Ele about it and that we were all a bit unsure of how to pull off the RP. The above, that is strictly a suggestion, the last thing I would want to do is consider that a rule (especially coming from an enforcer). I look at it as a way that we can adapt and develop our own RP in this game. I do like the idea of the cell phone thing, and it would be believable in regards to /whisper.

Other things we might want to look at are splitting teams off into separate channels in the Vent, and arranging a PayPal donation system so that Dice can expand the Vent beyond ten members.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Delinquent wrote:Other things we might want to look at are splitting teams off into separate channels in the Vent, and arranging a PayPal donation system so that Dice can expand the Vent beyond ten members.

I do love this idea, as I know footing the price of a vent gets to be a pain.

As pertaining to /c /w and /g:

It's my suggestion that /w is easily explainable by cell phones, as that was the basis of it in MxO. It worked quite well, and with the AFK system that was implemented we hardcore RP'rs would actually change the AFK message to that of a 'voicemail.' This is something that can be done here as well.

With /g, I always considered it a hush-hush conversation spoken in whispers among the few in it. I wouldn't say keep /g exclusive to RP, as some of us don't have/like mics so missioning would be tough Razz
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

Post  Eleutherophobia Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:15 pm

- Say : IC - This is literally your character standing there talking to other nearby characters.

- Whisper : IC - Cell-phone call.

- Yell/District : IC - But honestly, what real use is this other than to trash-talk?

- Clan : OOC - In my mind, this should be OOC by default, simply because that's what it's been in the other (MxO) roleplaying groups I've been a part of. If we're in the middle of a gang-wide roleplay event, this can be switched. But I really think we need a place to speak OOC-ly without (doing this every time). Moreover, it's not as if anyone will see that we're doing it, and it would provide a good resource should we need a story to seem cohesive to an outside group.

- Group : IC - IC by default, but if it's clear that you're just running missions and not planning roleplaying, there's certainly some leeway.

- Officer : What is this?

- Team : IC - Same as group, with the caveat that we should maintain a roleplay-esque-ness if /teamed up with other roleplayers.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Wait... You guys used you Clan / Guild (whatever it was called) channel in MxO for OOC as default? In the two groups I was in during those days (The Trust and The Devils Advocates) we RPed in all the channels and used (( )) to indicate OOC.

And far as I can tell there is a channel for officers in the game (appointing officers in the Clan).

I am very much in favor of the list you posted here. It definitely helps in determining what is what.
    Keigh
    Keigh
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Keigh Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Yeah in Insomnia Diversion faction chat was ooc aswell, same with crew chat.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Keigh wrote:Yeah in Insomnia Diversion faction chat was ooc aswell, same with crew chat.

As well as with C'masons, CoO, and The Dirge.

/reminisce
    Navron
    Navron
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Navron Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Same for Digital Underground(since we're all throwing out MxO factions Razz )
    LupusIntus
    LupusIntus
    Useless Mutt
    Useless Mutt

Post  LupusIntus Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:08 pm

In my heavy RP Champions Online clan, every chat channel was IC but (( )) could be used for OOC chat.
    That's how I'd rather do it, simply because there are very few times where I've found /say an efficient or effect means of chat in APB.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:53 pm

LupusIntus wrote:In my heavy RP Champions Online clan, every chat channel was IC but (( )) could be used for OOC chat.
    That's how I'd rather do it, simply because there are very few times where I've found /say an efficient or effect means of chat in APB.

This is what I am used to. That is how it was when I was playing in MxO and when I RP'd in DDO and it is preferred to me.
    Petra Bealer
    Petra Bealer
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Petra Bealer Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Speaking as someone who has RP'd in stuff with a far less cumbersome chat interface (EVE Online) that had options I don't think we have here... I'm not really bothered by the idea of being IC in /c too, I'd just like to know so I don't make an arse out of myself. Smile
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:31 am

To me, it doesn't fit ICly. That, and I'd hate to have to respond to someone asking for a group, advice, or anything else while I'm in a mission and have to make sure I'm using (()). Just doesn't seem right.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 am

Chainer wrote:To me, it doesn't fit ICly. That, and I'd hate to have to respond to someone asking for a group, advice, or anything else while I'm in a mission and have to make sure I'm using (()). Just doesn't seem right.

I can honestly say I do not expect to be responding at any time during a mission. To much going on to be typing in chat.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:06 am