Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Chainer
TheGame.exe
Euforia
Enders
Eleutherophobia
9 posters

No Location-specific Damage

Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

No Location-specific Damage Empty No Location-specific Damage

Post  Eleutherophobia Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:44 am

Lucky I keep my heart in my other foot.

In all seriousness, though: I understand that they want to narrow the gap between new and veteran (or simply, good and four-thumbs-and-a-toe) players, but this really seems like an awful idea to me. Thoughts?
    Enders
    Enders
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

No Location-specific Damage Empty Re: No Location-specific Damage

Post  Enders Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:54 am

There is no skill gap in gunfights when its like that. I like being able to aim better than other people. Its where all my CS skills come into use.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:02 pm

I agree. A feature like this simply encourages spraying with any and all weapons. Sniping becomes obsolete, pistols become obsolete, subterfuge becomes obsolete. At the very least, they should incorporate headshots, even if the rest of the body is generic -34HP shots.
    Euforia
    Euforia
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

Post  Euforia Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Location specific damage. Hrm, this is a tricky one for me. I think I could be fine with it, as long as the one-shot-kill does not become reality. Granted there might be a select few who will be able to pull off that kind of attack, I think it would probably demoralize those who can not, or do not spend enough time with the software to put up a better fight. As long as it's scaled properly, and done correctly, It could be a nice bonus for those who can pull it off, but won't keep people from playing the game all together. I can't comment further as I don't know how damage is calculated or how different guns/equipment/buffs affect combat.
    TheGame.exe
    TheGame.exe
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

Post  TheGame.exe Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:26 am

I like this. Call me a black sheep but it seems to be a good idea simply for the fact it gives everyone a chance. Sure, be it that some people are "gifted shooters" but for someone who is having an off day and wants to get something done, they can get a fair 'trial' so to speak. I've been playing FPS's most to all of my PC gaming experience so I know the bad and good of it all. I like it but I don't love it. I'd rather they keep without location specific damage.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm

I have to agree with Elu. It eliminates a lot of tactical play. (I always used handguns, and sniper rifles, even in MGO) I really like my style of play. It's a bit tougher than spray and pray which levels my playing field to others.
    Vicarius
    Vicarius
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Vicarius Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:12 pm

I can't say I like the idea of no localized damage, I too prefer handguns and sniper rifles to other more automatic weapons (Especially in MGO). I always liked to kill in style and preyed on the headshot. Times change, time to adapt.
    Domino
    Domino
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Domino Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm okay with it. I think it will take some focus off of the gunplay and make driving and planning more important.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Domino wrote:I'm okay with it. I think it will take some focus off of the gunplay and make driving and planning more important.

Just my issue is with the use of handguns, because they are a signature to my character and play style. But the positives are a level playing field for gunplay, and like you said; puts more emphasis on driving and planning. Even working together, because with this style the more bullets shot, the more damage done. So you're going to want to stick tight together with your cohorts so you have more ammo in the air than your opponent.

There's a conversation about this going on over at APB-E's forums. I mentioned there that the APB-Dev team is listening to feedback on it 24/7 and if the community wants it, that they will 'flip-a-switch' so to speak and turn it on basically.

This game is really boiling down to what the players want, which is fantastic IMO.
    Vicarius
    Vicarius
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Vicarius Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:01 am

My hope is that they atleast balance the combat enough so that each type of gun or weapon has its own advantages and disadvantages. Possibly making handguns as useful as any assault rifle or SMG.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 am

Agreed. But I foresee that if they don't turn on the damage boxes, that handguns would have to have heavy power as compared to riles and smgs' which put out a lot of bullets compared to the ol' handguns.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 am

Domino brings up an interesting point. It might be nice to be able to think "Okay, I only need to get X shots (depending upon the gun) into him" while backing your van through a mall, friend on the way to cut off any other exits and lend suppression fire. Tactics should rely more on driving and planning, as the missions themselves don't sound like they are frequently just "Go here and kill an enforcer lol k." Moreover, the enforcers themselves get more bonuses for not killing us, so it would seem that they are doing what they can to avoid making every mission into a Counter Strike round.
    Vicarius
    Vicarius
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Vicarius Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Yeah I can see why they gave only the enforcers an "arrest" ability now. If all goes well it should play something similar to real life where cops are supposed to try and neutralize the threat instead of shooting to kill. Usually they can only return fire and not shoot first. Unless of course the threat is just too dangerous.
    Hobo Jim
    Hobo Jim
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

Post  Hobo Jim Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:57 pm

I am in the middle. for example in MGO (if we are talking Metal Gear Online) it was all to easy for new players to get preyed on by more technical player for the reason of the insta-kill headshot, a buddy of mine quit for that reason. and though it makes sense, it just makes dying more annoying when you have to re-spawn over and over. so in that sense it makes it fair for players not to familiar with shooters in general and most players that have really only played generic MMO's.

BUT, i do agree it takes a lot of strategy out of shooting. so if they could find a medium between local specific and making headshots less lethal then that would be fair to the more experienced and unexperienced players. like arms/legs= 10 chest= 30 and head= 50. -example-
    Vicarius
    Vicarius
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Vicarius Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm sure RTW will go with whatever pleases the majority of the players. I do prefer having some strategy to the combat. Though I can't really lean either way as I haven't even tried the current setup yet.
    Hobo Jim
    Hobo Jim
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

Post  Hobo Jim Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Vicarius wrote:I'm sure RTW will go with whatever pleases the majority of the players. I do prefer having some strategy to the combat. Though I can't really lean either way as I haven't even tried the current setup yet.

Right. i know what you mean.
    Jezebel
    Jezebel
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

Post  Jezebel Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:25 pm

At least head shots, CoD2 has head shots, so they could too. Firepower vs Skill, I hope they see the value of both.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:51 pm