Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Eron
Eleutherophobia
Pyroclasam
Nytewing
Chainer
Sushin
10 posters

What's your solo approach?

Sushin
    Sushin
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

What's your solo approach? Empty What's your solo approach?

Post  Sushin Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:15 pm

No one posted anything here...but it's important to analyze the way you fight.

When I play alone, my first objective above all of them is to locate the enemy. After that comes remaining undetected. I always find in games like this it's an easy kill if you set traps or ambushes for the enemy. Typically I either find cover in a place away from the objective, sometimes so I can see past a corner of their likely position.

But, as spotting the enemy is my first objective, sometimes I will compromise my position to spot them (I.E. sprinting out of an ally and into the street for a quick glance), then lure them into an area I can fight them in much easier, or even ambush.

By the way...pay attention to that little radar at the bottom. You can see the enemies position if they are in a car or shooting. As a specific example, I've used this to my advantage by training my sights on a steel door I thought they would go through, and the kicking animation leaves them immobile for just a second, but it's a battle winning second.

Anyone else want to throw out their approach to solo combat?
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

What's your solo approach? Empty Re: What's your solo approach?

Post  Chainer Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:38 pm

I do pretty much the same as you. But lately I've been much more forward:

Damage heavy (Usually depending on what I pick that day for my weapons changes my strategy) and make them fall back and force a reload. At that point Dash up and pump 'em full of lead.

It seems to work better for me, as I've noticed people anticipating someone waiting at the objective. Especially if they arrive as the objective is flashing. So I find it best to take the forward approach, especially if you have something like the NTec or an SMG.

As for secondaries, I tend to use the high damage low clip size (44, Revolver) as they have a good range which makes a great finisher.

Overall, I try to adjust and adapt.
    Sushin
    Sushin
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Sushin Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Nice to meet you too.

Sometimes it's nice to go a little more in depth depending on the player. Things like the radar can be used to your advantage if you aren't the first one at the objective. Tricking people and such... It's also always a good idea to scan an area before you go to an objective, like you said. Once the enemy is dead it's all yours.

I'm not so good with attacking them at the point they are reloading. In most cases I end up reloading at the exact same time they do...any tips >_>?
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:03 pm

I definitely pay close attention to the radar. If you're in a group, and they see/shoot/are shot by an enemy the enemy in turns shows up on radar briefly; this gives you a good chance to flank and really make the difference. This I find is very important during a match when kills are the primary way to win. (Something like an APB where you have a VIP, Escape mission, or a final stage.) It's also helpful if you're second on scene as it gives you a good readout of the entire situation.

Though, you compare that to using the VOIP system well it really isn't much. A team with good communication will really be able to pinpoint and react faster. Just like in a game such as Battle Field: Bad Company or Metal Gear ONLINE. Nothing replaces good communication. The flip side is however, if you're doing a pickup team you're better off assuming that there is no VOIP and just using the radar and listening for gunfire/cars/explosions.

As for your reloading:
    It's something that timing comes down to as well as a steady trigger finger. A few well places shots go further than a clip sprayed in every direction. Try burst firing. Typically as my opponents are reloading I can crouch for accuracy and then really just pour out hot lead.

If you got any questions in game try to /w TheChainer or alternatively /w Chainer.

Good luck out there!
    Nytewing
    Nytewing
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Nytewing Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Very true, but I noticed something surprising. Just like the radio system in our cars,
    if we drive past some other car we can hear their music. Well the other team can hear you.
    I was in a pick-up group and the other guys peeps didn't have mics (or didnt want to talk)

The other team however was a tight-knit group that out numbered us 4-2 but talked like a good group.
    i.e. I'm covering the back, you two wait by the ramp. Well that helped US and I threw a grenade and killed
    the two by the ramp. Our match making payed off and it was now 4-3.

Long story short I think the VoIP is great, but we have to be aware its a double edged sword.

cheers

~Nyte
    Sushin
    Sushin
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Sushin Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah. They added that for immersion. I like it quite a bit but sometimes it's just used to insult me before my enemy is killed...and I'm left with a mix between satisfaction that I killed them and pissed them off, but upset that they have such a verbally violent vendetta against me for nearly no reason o_o
    Pyroclasam
    Pyroclasam
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Pyroclasam Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 am

I change my weapons based on the missions I plan to accept. For instance I bring a sniper rifle if I intent to reply to backup calls. When it comes to running missions I was a fan of the OBIR on euro but there's been a few patches since I last used it to I need to re-evaluate my up close and personal weapons.

90% of the time my side arm is a pistol.
    Sushin
    Sushin
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Sushin Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:39 am

That's impressive. If you're gonna use sidearms I suppose a long range weapon would make the perfect primary. A special weapon would work well also...like a LMG or rocket launcher.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 am

I approach a different way, where my sidearm picks up for the weaknesses of my primary. IE - I am currently using the "Undertaker" SMG (3 slots upgraded, Spray + Pray 2, Quick Fingers 3, and something else I can't remember) and then I have the ACT 44 for my secondary. Why? Reason being - I have incredible aim and damage output in close-range encounters. Yet, the primary gun has about... naught for distance. So the ACT 44 in 2-4 shots will take someone out.

I've also found it best to pick a role within your team and try to stick to it, learning your weapon tactics the best you can instead of switching around. IE - I run, flank, kill. I don't do well head on unless It's 1v1 because of my clip size/rate of fire empties me quick.
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

Post  Eleutherophobia Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 am

Pyroclasam wrote:...I bring a sniper rifle if I intent to reply to backup calls...

...90% of the time my side arm is a pistol.

I'm very much in this boat. Although I prefer driving to gunplay, as it is more my strong suit, when I am in a firefight, I'm quite happy with a sniper rifle / pistol combo.
    Nytewing
    Nytewing
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Nytewing Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:09 am

Can I get three cheers for snipers? hip hip hoorey

Yea I finally got the hang of the early sniper rifle, its pretty beast now. For a sidearm I use the burst fireing semi-auto one....can't remember whats its called of the top of my head. And frag grenades X.X

For the guard/capture missions I like to pick a nice vantage point, usually somewhere high and wait till I can find the opposition. Even if I get there first I'll wait it out and then snipe them and move to a new location only heading for the objective when theres less then a minute or so. 'least thats what I do when I'm solo.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:30 am

I believe the Joker is the pistol you mean. Kind of like a Glock with an extended clip on it. Typically with capture points I setup close by in a corner that has my back to the wall so I can pop out quick and deadly-like.
    Nytewing
    Nytewing
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Nytewing Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 am

Yep yep jocolor awesome icon man. can't believe KttC is almost done. Granted with the end of beta it brings us that much closer to launch. Twisted Evil
    Eron
    Eron
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Eron Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 pm

In solo play, the first thing on my mind is moderating my Notoriety. If I can keep that down, then the opposition's numbers and skill level are restricted. I can take a lot of players one-on-one, and I can do okay against a two strangers... Heck, I just dropped off a freeway into the middle of three clanmates and wiped 'em out with the autoshotgun and it was so AWESOME!

...ahem.

When I am inevitably opposed, I also try to pick my battles. Lately, I've been pairing up the NFAS shotgun with with the Joker machine pistol. The obvious handicap is range, so I avoid fighting in the open. I huck grenades at free-standing vehicles in hopes of causing multiple explosions, and drop grenades right behind me when I round corners in hopes that pursuers won't see or hear it when they round that same corner. If I'm being chased, sometimes I jump a fence and immediately dash to one side, hoping that the pursuer leaps the same fence, then greet him at point-blank range with hot 12-gauge buckshot.

If I can't draw the enforcers into the close quarters of the alleyways, then I try to advance through the alleys up the street and towards the Enforcers' position. Whenever possible, I seek the higher ground. Though there is plenty of good cover at street level, much of it is useless because of that glowing red nameplate hovering over our heads. I think the overpasses make the best spining points because you can see enemies approaching your blindside from a fair distance.

More to come...
    Cynthetic
    Cynthetic
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Cynthetic Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 am

Eleutherophobia wrote:
    Pyroclasam wrote:...I bring a sniper rifle if I intent to reply to backup calls...

...90% of the time my side arm is a pistol.

I'm very much in this boat. Although I prefer driving to gunplay, as it is more my strong suit, when I am in a firefight, I'm quite happy with a sniper rifle / pistol combo.

I agree with the above, I'm better at driving and sniping than I am getting into direct gunfights. I also enjoy using the SHAW (the vehicle killer and bullet-spewer that it is) and perhaps when they nerf the OCA a bit I'll feel more comfortable about getting CQC with it.

My main tactic is to stay a street away from the objective with the High-Powered Anti-Material rifle and pick off targets after they spawn and sprint towards the objective. Delays them and sometimes even forces them to focus their attention.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 am

Cynthetic makes a great point. I love it when Nav, Dice, Anthema and I are working with all gears running. Usually two of us sit outside/across the street from the objective while two sit close to it, but on opposite sides. Surrounding/flanking is perhaps the most useful tactic thus-far.
    Petra Bealer
    Petra Bealer
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Petra Bealer Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 am

Solo against group... I mean no offense to any of you snipers out there, but I hope that they've got multiple people running HVRs. I run the NTEC pretty much exclusively and found that if you split the team up a bit, you can pretty reliably avoid fire up to point blank if you time the shots right. Take one hit as you get to point blank perhaps but an aimed NTEC close in works rather well.

Splitting them up really is the key of course; sort of finding the right rhythm such that the timing on respawning is keeping them apart, but trying to time it so there's a chance to heal between encounters... iffy.

Really frustrating though is that I've been having some nights where every single mission I seem to be getting put up against top-10 gangs. Try to concentrate on one at a time there to at least get something out of it.
    Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

Post  Delinquent Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:04 am

I don't care about the kill count and, while I am adequate at FPS and TPS games, I don't have the same skill level of, say, Dice so I tend to die more than kill. I have had moments thought, like last night where I finished a mission with 9 killes and 3 deaths with 5 assists and 4 medals. Those, however are few and far between. Because of that, my mentallity is as such:

Escape = Find a fast car and go. Keep going until the bar fills or time runs out, don't fight if you can avoid it.

VIP = If you are not the VIP then kamikaze the enemy and act as a distraction. If you are the VIP then see the above. If available, take a teammate with you to provide covering fire while you are running.

Guard / Capture = Find places to hide, stay low, and watch the entrances that you know of. I am not a good sniper, so going high only results in exposing myself and dying.

Deliver = Place the carry item in the trunk everytime if it is a heavy item (unless recovering the item in the middle of a fire fight). See Escape for the secondary objective. Lives do not matter until the item is recovered if it was lost. If delivering a car then see Escape for the method used.

Break In / Spray = Flank the objective from at most two entrances. Be mindfull of your teammates location and attempt to fire in burst shots to be able to both retain accuracy and also withdraw from firing when your teammate (inevitably) steps in your line of fire. Avoid grenades in tight areas to reduce teamkills.

And above all else, always follow the orders of those that have taken the initiative to lead the group and always retain a cool head (it is just a game afterall).
    Cynthetic
    Cynthetic
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  Cynthetic Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Delinquent wrote:I don't care about the kill count and, while I am adequate at FPS and TPS games, I don't have the same skill level of, say, Dice so I tend to die more than kill. I have had moments thought, like last night where I finished a mission with 9 killes and 3 deaths with 5 assists and 4 medals. Those, however are few and far between. Because of that, my mentallity is as such:

Escape = Find a fast car and go. Keep going until the bar fills or time runs out, don't fight if you can avoid it.

VIP = If you are not the VIP then kamikaze the enemy and act as a distraction. If you are the VIP then see the above. If available, take a teammate with you to provide covering fire while you are running.

Guard / Capture = Find places to hide, stay low, and watch the entrances that you know of. I am not a good sniper, so going high only results in exposing myself and dying.

Deliver = Place the carry item in the trunk everytime if it is a heavy item (unless recovering the item in the middle of a fire fight). See Escape for the secondary objective. Lives do not matter until the item is recovered if it was lost. If delivering a car then see Escape for the method used.

Break In / Spray = Flank the objective from at most two entrances. Be mindfull of your teammates location and attempt to fire in burst shots to be able to both retain accuracy and also withdraw from firing when your teammate (inevitably) steps in your line of fire. Avoid grenades in tight areas to reduce teamkills.

And above all else, always follow the orders of those that have taken the initiative to lead the group and always retain a cool head (it is just a game afterall).

The Escape is the obvious tactic, but I actually got insulted over whispers about 'ruining the game for others' because I ran until my escape meter filled up. I was sad face.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Cynthetic wrote:The Escape is the obvious tactic, but I actually got insulted over whispers about 'ruining the game for others' because I ran until my escape meter filled up. I was sad face.

Screw 'em. Your objective is to run, theirs is to find you and arrest / kill. If they can't catch you then they are not doing their jobs well. That is all there is to that.
    Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Post  Dice Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Delinquent wrote:
    Cynthetic wrote:The Escape is the obvious tactic, but I actually got insulted over whispers about 'ruining the game for others' because I ran until my escape meter filled up. I was sad face.

Screw 'em. Your objective is to run, theirs is to find you and arrest / kill. If they can't catch you then they are not doing their jobs well. That is all there is to that.

Quoted for truth. If they're not smart enough to cut you off with another vehicle, then they are as dumb as a box of rocks. They can see you on the radar for the love of God, if they can't get you then its their own damn fault.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:35 am