Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

HELP!

MgFalcon
    MgFalcon
    Just Passing Through
    Just Passing Through

HELP! Empty HELP!

Post  MgFalcon Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 pm

So legit, I need y'all for help. Myself, being new to RP and all, have little clue on how to RP... I have read over some of the other posts and get the idea, butttt if someone could give me a few pointer I would be WICKED HAPPY... like legit all of this is new to me haha, and I hate being the new guy asking for info... just a few pointers and you'll see that I can adapt very well!
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

HELP! Empty Re: HELP!

Post  Eleutherophobia Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Hrm. Well, on the forums, this is more just...fiction writing than roleplay, to which the only advice I can give is to do it often, as storytelling is a skill that needs to be nurtured like any other. I personally like to do all of my writing on paper first (outside a coffee house, people watching, but that's just me), then type up a second draft that is usually a bit less rambling.

As for in-game RP, I'd say to kind of play the ninja warrior until you're more comfortable with your character. That is, only speak when the fate of the world depends upon it, and keep to the background of dramatic scenes. You'll be cool and mysterious a la Claude, but still have room to build an actual character on top, later. Moreover, you'll be able to watch the more extroverted roleplayers strut their stuff, and see what you like/dislike about acting as a certain kind of character.

Last edited by Eleutherophobia on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SK
    SK
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

Post  SK Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Roleplay, in general, is simply the act of portraying your character through the assumption that the actions and words are the character's and not your own.

In practicality that means he or she has a fiction based backstory which describes their origin and reason for being in the position they are in now (ultimately "now" being your character as they are in the game world). Your backstory is often also used to explain nuances of your character. For example, if they got attacked by a dog as a child, that explains why the character dislikes dogs now.

Typically when constructing a backstory it goes either direction. You can decide what you want your character to be, and then develop reasons for that state of being, or you can create an inventive backstory and simply let your character make decisions based on the past you have created from then onward.

The most important aspect of roleplaying is meta-gaming. Your character is just a character and does not have knowledge of anything outside of the game world and its fiction like you (the player) have. If you were to give your persona knowledge of the "real world", that would be considering breaking character. For example, if you were to say "Wow this game looks great", that would be out of character because, to him or her, it isn't a video game it is San Paro.

From that point, roleplay is generally just using your character to do two things: become involved with other roleplaying characters by exposing them in social situations (my level headed assassin girl with a lust for rich men meets your radical street rat gangster with a knack for stealing cars... what do they say to each other?), and also using the events that happen in the game world to build upon your characters backstory (you get arrested by a enforcer wearing a nice skirt, so now you want to ram raid the clothing store it came from out of petty vengeance) ect.

There are other small faux pas and general culturally accepted practices with roleplaying which you will stumble upon the more you practice and play, but nothing substantial.

As a whole is it simply a practice of imagination and sharing creativity, and thus is ultimately freeform.

If there is any hard and fast rule, it is "do as your character would do" and try not to mix anything from out of game: with that, you can't really go wrong.

~ SK.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:15 am

Excellent explanation, SK. Although I did find one thing wrong if I may be so bold:

SK wrote:(you get arrested by a enforcer wearing a nice skirt, so now you want to ram raid the clothing store it came from out of petty vengeance her.)

(So sorry, but it HAD to be done.)
    Nytewing
    Nytewing
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Nytewing Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 pm

^ LOL
    aside from that SK pretty much nailed it. and I agree with Eleuth, the more you write in character the easier it gets.
    just have fun with it Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:25 pm