Rain Dogs : A Storytelling Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Navron
Nickel
Tripp
Ecks
Mota
Krycek
Molly
IcePho3nix
Chainer
Dice
Azrakel
DevilDolly
Journey
Delinquent
Eleutherophobia
19 posters

The End of an Era. The Birth of an Institution.

Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia
    Bad Liver and a Broken Heart

The End of an Era.  The Birth of an Institution. Empty The End of an Era. The Birth of an Institution.

Post  Eleutherophobia Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:03 pm

As announced on the APB website, San Paro will be placed in a state of emergency, and the streets will be cleared of all civilians. With the servers going down, I am deeply saddened by the loss of what could have been a wonderful storytelling universe. But I do not mourn it as a recent death, but an unfortunate turn in development that, at some point, turned this game into one of flashy action, and not much else.

We are storytellers. And I hope that you will remain here after the switch is flipped on the servers to continue telling stories within whatever universe you decide. Naturally, these boards will require a bit of a facelift in the coming weeks to better allow them to become a hub for roleplaying and storytelling, rather than for an APB gang. We will not perish with the city; we will live on, be it in a future space, a medieval past, or an occult present.

I want to thank all of you for sharing this journey with me. The Rain Dogs were very much established in the wake of another world’s departure, and I would not trade any inch of this world that Ecks, Chainer and I created, and all of you so gloriously and, most of all, thoroughly realized. We have created something memorable here, and you are all responsible. My time with all of you has been well-spent, and I am indebted to each one of you for sharing it.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The End of an Era.  The Birth of an Institution. Signaturesignature

Last edited by Eleutherophobia on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Delinquent
    Here 'til the Money Runs Out

The End of an Era.  The Birth of an Institution. Empty Re: The End of an Era. The Birth of an Institution.

Post  Delinquent Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:42 pm

I am so glad for my obsession with screen shots to forever immortilize the game. The memories were amazing, from stalking Dolly as Chris Walsaw, to nearly beating Ian's head into a wall over his proposed solution to a problem. The ups, the downs, the joys, and the pains, all of it has been amazing. Thanks to the people here I have gained a spark toward what I thought was a fading light in the roleplay world. 25 years of the same thing bi-weekly and here I discovered something new and amazing within that window.

I have learned to follow, to lead, and to share on these streets. I have met people that happily break my rule of gaming with those under 18 (looks at Dice and Molly), and those that opened my eyes to other views of the world. This road is only a beginning for us, and the APB path has run it's course, but there are many exit ramps to take and only you can decide which of those is the right one for you. I, for one, will be returning to Eve online and playing CoD: Black Ops when it releases (no future MMO grabs my attention like APB did). For others that path may be drastically different. But when you travel on I can only hope that at a minimum you remember us here.

* Delinquent raises a glass in toast *

To APB, RTW, and the Rain Dogs. May the fight in you always be strong.
    Journey
    Journey
    Wide-Eyed
    Wide-Eyed

The End of an Era.  The Birth of an Institution. Empty Re: The End of an Era. The Birth of an Institution.

Post  Journey Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm

I went to Texas for a trial, and came back just a day ago...hadn't been on APB in so long and was all super excited to test out the new mechanics and now this =( Hopefully another company will see what a gem APB really is and pick it up. I will continue to come to these forums as much as possible now that my real life has returned to semi-normal lol. Gamewise I can be found on project 99 ( a everquest classic emu) or more recently on Vindictus.
    I am very happy for the times that I spent with all of you in game and wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world cheers loves!
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Eleutherophobia
    Eleutherophobia

Post  Eleutherophobia Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:27 pm

To those wondering (I don't want to turn this into another 'where to next' thread), I probably won't be picking up a new MMO for a while, as my time (as I'm sure you've noticed) has been largely disposed of with real-life commitments. I may venture to join you in EVE casually here and there, but my next large venture will surely be The Secret World.

I would like to hear thoughts, if you would, on what we can do with this hub, in terms of making it cross-genre.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Multi-gaming / system RP corp! Play across PC and Console in any and all games that allow and RP in as many as functionally possible. Set up FPS Rain Dogs clan tags (i.e. [RD]), and ensure that if you have an account on Steam, PS3, X-box, or even the dreaded Wii, the gamer tag is known to all so we may always have someone to play with (outside of ourselves... *looks down*)
    Azrakel
    Azrakel
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Azrakel Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:42 pm

DevilDolly wrote:Holy crap...

+1 to that...
    Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Post  Dice Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 pm

God. Fucking. Dammit.

Last edited by Dice on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:32 pm

DevilDolly wrote:I'm just... unbelievably bummed out. I was actually really enjoying the game.

I admit I teared up a bit about this. I was frustrated at times, but I loved the game overall and loved the way we told our stories in the game. If not for the fact that I ratified the contract on a house today I would absolutely devistated over this. But the day has to much good in it to let this bad overwhelm it.
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Dogs come, dogs will go. But always, a home they will return to.

I'm honored to be considered such a vital part of the RD, considering that I merely stumbled in by a chance conversation with Ecks one night almost begging for permission to handle my own pan once again with friends very dear to me. If Ele was honest though, she would of excluded me from that list as I am merely a student of their limitless abilities to weave intricate fabrics of story and hearsay.

To both Ele and Ecks, you have my eternal gratitude and friendship as it is the most I can afford to give; though I consider it the most precious thing I can give. I remember taking Ecks under my wing long ago, only to be quickly surpassed by him in manipulation of code. I also remember a very stubborn, opinionated, but friendly and accepting red-head walking down the streets of Megacity who saw it fit to invite a rough and calloused RP'r to be refined. For this, I can thank neither of you enough. Allow me to once again say what not only your opinions on design and life mean, but your friendship as a whole means to me.

To the rest of you, well played. I regret not getting to know you better, but real-life is always busy and full of backhanded-schemes just as Sephr has in-game. I too will most likely be heading to Secret World as it spawns a life familiar to those who surfed the code night after night searching for answers. The Dirge will be following me there, as well as Eket into TOR.

Though alliances are fun, perhaps a trifecta is too much and cause for some of the confusion I've felt. It was always much better when we held a knife to each-others throats with a smile on our face and a handshake in the other hand.
    IcePho3nix
    IcePho3nix
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  IcePho3nix Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:48 pm

I was just having a great day. And then I came home to some of the most depressing news of recent memory. So here I am, being all angsty and teenage-y, nearly on the verge of tears, it would seem. I'll stick around with you folks, though, at the very least, here on the forums. I'm not sure if I'll go into EVE or head back to City of Heroes, but y'all are happening dudes, and pretty good friends. See you on the flip side, Dogs.
    Molly
    Molly
    Uninvited Relative
    Uninvited Relative

Post  Molly Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I was having a great day, I got to meet two very inspirational media artists. I got an idea to create a piece of video art to go along with Oh, The Brush Glides Easily (My entrance piece.) I was at the mall, looking at cameras, when I got the text from my friend.

"APB is dead."

I didn't reply, because I thought he was trolling. They had a patch coming out today, and it was so sudden. So I continued into the mall, and I found a copy of Rain Dogs by Tom Waits, and naturally, I bought it. I was leaving the mall when I got a second text from a different friend.

"Spoilers: APB servers down in 1 hours. Uptime: never"

By this point, I was angry. This must have been a lie, this must all be an elaborate plot to wind me up. I biked home in the rain, in rage, listening to Rain Dogs.

As I got home, I wandered the house, avoiding my computer, living the few minutes in denial. I approached my computer, pressing the power button slowly. It posted after a few seconds and brought up my log in screen, the picture of Mion from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni laughing at me, blood stained across her face. I entered my password and logged in.

Immediately, I brought up Kotaku, scrolling slowly down the front page.

And there was a monster.

I cried slightly, logging into vent to wallow in sorrow with Dice, Navron, and DevilDolly.

I loved APB, truly, it is... was my favourite MMO. I feel lost, because I've also lost a medium through which I can be Molly. She was one of my favourite characters, a character who I put so much time, thought, and emotion into that I actually had a nightmare about her last night.

I guess in the end I'm really just being over-emotional.

I'll miss all the fun times I had with all of you, and I hope that we can settle down in some other game. Hopefully one where I can gather myself once more and have a truly great experience, just like the one I had in APB.
    Krycek
    Krycek
    Baker Pool Shark
    Baker Pool Shark

Post  Krycek Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Saw this comming, though was hoping I'd be wrong. The game was taking some direction changes and it could've been put in a good place. Just goes to show you can't depend on EA to help out.
    Regardless, everyone will be more or less, still here. Figure I'll throw out some connections:

EVE: Jonathan Krycek (Amarr, main)
    Jon Krycek (Gallente, "learn to play again" alt.)

WoW: Dark Iron Server, Reapray and Syncretize.

Xbox: Requiem Dogma

Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:35 pm

As it is, sephr1@live.com is where you will find me. Keep tabs on www.chimerasdirge.com as well. As we know, every computer has a recycle bin and if you need somewhere to find home in TOR, feel free to contact us when the time comes and the Chimera rears one of it's three heads again.

I'll be closing my posts out as far as story-wise. I had already planned on it anyway, as life has just got me by the grapes as far as my time is concerned. Feel free to contact me even just for a 'hello' if you see me online. I hope to hear from all of you in the not-to-distant future in one way or another.
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Dice
    Dice
    Lost in the Harbour
    Lost in the Harbour

Post  Dice Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:39 pm

You guys playing Republic or Empire when TOR launches Chainer?
    Chainer
    Chainer
    Travelling Accordionist
    Travelling Accordionist

Post  Chainer Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:13 pm

We are those who seek no shelter and fight for our own reasons. We fight for ourselves and no one else. So we will not be picking either side.
    Azrakel
    Azrakel
    Splashing the Wine
    Splashing the Wine

Post  Azrakel Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:35 pm

I'll be playing TOR, and I'll be playing Empire.

Otherwise there aren't a whole lot of PC games coming up that have caught my attention. You can find me on XBL, username: II Azrakel II, or on MSN, Azrakel225@hotmail.com

I'm a veteran of play-by-post roleplaying of pen & paper rpgs (and freeform, in some cases). I vaugely recall somebody here mentioning they played World of Darkness, so I figured I'd bring it up... you can find me on Myth-Weavers, rpol (Azrakel on both), and occasionally Google Wave (Azrakel225@hotmail.com) for that.

I'll be sticking around here too though, of course.
    Delinquent

Post  Delinquent Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Azrakel wrote:I'll be playing TOR, and I'll be playing Empire.

Otherwise there aren't a whole lot of PC games coming up that have caught my attention. You can find me on XBL, username: II Azrakel II, or on MSN, Azrakel225@hotmail.com

I'm a veteran of play-by-post roleplaying of pen & paper rpgs (and freeform, in some cases). I vaugely recall somebody here mentioning they played World of Darkness, so I figured I'd bring it up... you can find me on Myth-Weavers, rpol (Azrakel on both), and occasionally Google Wave (Azrakel225@hotmail.com) for that.

I'll be sticking around here too though, of course.

Hmmm... play by post gives me an idea. Since I have been running PnP games as a DM / GM for years, along with a few PbP games, I could potentially run a game here as well. Currently I am running a super hero game and I could do that, or break out the old d20 Modern books I have. Smile

Chainer wrote:We are those who seek no shelter and fight for our own reasons. We fight for ourselves and no one else. So we will not be picking either side.

So not trying to do anything new, then? Very Happy Love ya!
    Mota
    Mota
    Liquored-up Immigrant
    Liquored-up Immigrant

Post  Mota Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:04 pm

My Xbox GT is Mota3790 for any consolers.

I'm truly disappointed that APB couldn't even make it for 6 months. But I got to meet a great group of folks in the form of you guys. I'm on the EVE trial (Motx) and I might get TOR when it comes out. But for now, it's all about NBA 2k11 and Black Ops. If anyone else knows of some good MMOs coming out/trials I'm interested.

At the moment, I'm trying to think of a good RP setup for San Paro's "State of Emergency"

I also like Del's PnP idea.

Last edited by Mota on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 pm

DevilDolly
    Thumbing Home
    Thumbing Home

Post  DevilDolly Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 am

Last edited by DevilDolly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ecks
    Ecks
    Growling Mongrel
    Growling Mongrel

Post  Ecks Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:33 am

'Dewey Defeats Truman'; the Chicago Tribune, somewhere in the late 40s, reporting on the inevitable and altogether inaccurate defeat of the incumbent challenger. Plainly as false, the inescapable obligation of this quartet of wind-swept mutts and soaked mongrels to resign itself to an irellavence heralded by the passage of time and shifts in the assignation of value and worth.

It had come across in casual conversation around the alley-ways, coffee shops, jazz joints and book stores so prevailing a locale of preference that the gradual and eventual congregation of these indentured souls to the theology of adventure was encouraged, strengthened, galvanised and catalysed by the migration of a select few players, performers and pollsters to the very streets which lined their interconnectivity; architects of the networking, socialisation and nourishment of culture which would, with course, establish itself as the unquantifiable yet substantial fathoming of the concept of a collective identity - the Rain Dogs. Their pallette gradually attuning to the extra-shot caramel cappuccino, served only with the smoothest layer of froth from San Paro's Espresso Royale, having been previously accustomed to the habitualised comfort and warmth of the extra warm hot chocolate from Creston's branch of Peg's, learning to cater for the variety of styles, tastes and flavours of not only the inhabitants, but of the city itself.

In its consideration, an unyieldingly adamantine exercise founded in originality and adherence to the inceptive constitution responsible for the establishment of one of the most worthwhile environments of which I have been a part, able to safeguard an extent of this most variably temperamental forum of empty shells, trails of smoke and flashes of light. Yet, in its application able to provide a warmly welcoming habitat to creatures both experienced and wide-eyed; inviting, further, an evolution in both creativity and thought.

Especially evident, if only suggested, through the stories having taken place, involving Ecks, is the preference of having been able to operate at something of a distance to the most visible and apparent fore-front to the collective; instead focusing on the co-ordination of activities, development and refinement of aspiration and intent and ensuring the sovereignty of the crew's activities.

Ele - for reminding me, so long ago, that the magnifying glass with its sepia lense had not, in fact, fallen to the ground and was still in hand, by a notable minority. Don't worry about the scratches and marks; someone told me it only adds to the value through 'character'.

Sephr - for reminding me, too, in times long past that there was still life within the unexplored and that, really, if you listen close enough, where you can hear its heart, it is, in fact, one of the most comforting affirmations of continuance.

Pyroclasam - an enduring source of style and form; able to give shape to even the most imperceptible of transitions.

Rain Dogs - while we may find ourselves sailing along-side the winds of change that once shored each of us here at the old wooden docks of San Paro's less well-known 'marina', rest assured that the sails and masts hold equally as much, if not more integrity in both substance and structure as when we first arrived; with as deserving and invaluable a cargo and crew as whence it set sail.

To each and all, your presence and contribution has made the time invested within this iteration of existence, both in form and in thought, as memorable and enhancing an experience as it shall hopefully continue to be.

Last edited by Ecks on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm